The SSH host key has changed on 8 April, 2022 to this one: SHA256:573uTBSeh74kvOo0HJXi5ijdzRm8me27suzNEDlGyrQ
Old, Django based sources of the site
You can not select more than 25 topics Topics must start with a letter or number, can include dashes ('-') and can be up to 35 characters long.
Gergely Polonkai 9bc614f8a0 Add request context processor 9 years ago
basics Fix error views so they return the correct HTTP status 9 years ago
blog Remove unnecessary trailing semicolon 9 years ago
gergelypolonkaiweb Add request context processor 9 years ago
static Add static files directory location 9 years ago
.gitignore Add log file and virtualenv to .gitignore 9 years ago Added 9 years ago Renamed project to gergelypolonkaiweb 9 years ago
migrate.sql Fix migrate.sql to update tables much better 9 years ago
requirements.txt Add requirements.txt for pip requirements 9 years ago

I have decided to rewrite my web site engine ( – currently in PHP with Symfony 2) in Python, using the Django Framework.

Nice. Why?

See my blog post about it. However, the story is a bit more than this.

  • I am writing a C library using GLib and GObject
  • for that, I have written some Python examples
  • while testing “my” Python bindings, the Django Framework came into my mind, as I have already heard about it before while I was developing using Symfony 2
  • I took a look, then took a big breath
  • I learned Python and Django in about 6 hours (no, I haven’t mastered either of them; just learned the basics)
  • I’ve converted my old, heavyweight Symfony project (~250MB with the vendors folder) to Django (~60MB with all the required libraries)

I think you did this-or-that wrong

As I said, I’m no Python expert, which means there may be stuff that is against best practice. If you point me out, I will be grateful!