Old, Django based sources of the site gergely.polonkai.eu
You can not select more than 25 topics Topics must start with a letter or number, can include dashes ('-') and can be up to 35 characters long.
Gergely Polonkai fc8442b2fc Fix blog RSS view 4 years ago
basics Google validator link is now a simple empty HttpResponse instead of a full-blown view 5 years ago
blog Fix blog RSS view 4 years ago
gergelypolonkaiweb Add pinterest checker link 4 years ago
static Add static files directory location 5 years ago
.gitignore Fix server.log location in .gitignore 5 years ago
README.md Added README.md 6 years ago
html2text.py Add export command to export posts as markdown 4 years ago
manage.py Renamed project to gergelypolonkaiweb 6 years ago
migrate.sql Fix migrate.sql to update tables much better 5 years ago
requirements.txt Add gunicorn and setproctitle to requirements 4 years ago

README.md

gergely.polonkai.eu

I have decided to rewrite my web site engine (http://gergely.polonkai.eu/ – currently in PHP with Symfony 2) in Python, using the Django Framework.

Nice. Why?

See my blog post about it. However, the story is a bit more than this.

  • I am writing a C library using GLib and GObject
  • for that, I have written some Python examples
  • while testing “my” Python bindings, the Django Framework came into my mind, as I have already heard about it before while I was developing using Symfony 2
  • I took a look, then took a big breath
  • I learned Python and Django in about 6 hours (no, I haven’t mastered either of them; just learned the basics)
  • I’ve converted my old, heavyweight Symfony project (~250MB with the vendors folder) to Django (~60MB with all the required libraries)

I think you did this-or-that wrong

As I said, I’m no Python expert, which means there may be stuff that is against best practice. If you point me out, I will be grateful!