Old, Django based sources of the site gergely.polonkai.eu
You cannot select more than 25 topics Topics must start with a letter or number, can include dashes ('-') and can be up to 35 characters long.
Gergely Polonkai 35248dab45 Reset settings.py to the factory default (Django 1.6) 9 years ago
basics Generate PDF version of the resume 9 years ago
blog Add CodeChunk to admin page 9 years ago
gergelypolonkaiweb Reset settings.py to the factory default (Django 1.6) 9 years ago
static Add static files directory location 9 years ago
.gitignore Add log file and virtualenv to .gitignore 9 years ago
README.md Added README.md 10 years ago
manage.py Renamed project to gergelypolonkaiweb 10 years ago
migrate.sql Fix migrate.sql to update tables much better 9 years ago
requirements.txt Add requirements.txt for pip requirements 9 years ago



I have decided to rewrite my web site engine (http://gergely.polonkai.eu/ currently in PHP with Symfony 2) in Python, using the Django Framework.

Nice. Why?

See my blog post about it. However, the story is a bit more than this.

  • I am writing a C library using GLib and GObject
  • for that, I have written some Python examples
  • while testing “my” Python bindings, the Django Framework came into my mind, as I have already heard about it before while I was developing using Symfony 2
  • I took a look, then took a big breath
  • I learned Python and Django in about 6 hours (no, I havent mastered either of them; just learned the basics)
  • Ive converted my old, heavyweight Symfony project (~250MB with the vendors folder) to Django (~60MB with all the required libraries)

I think you did this-or-that wrong

As I said, Im no Python expert, which means there may be stuff that is against best practice. If you point me out, I will be grateful!