Old, Django based sources of the site gergely.polonkai.eu
Go to file
Gergely Polonkai 34d1cefe70 Add get_post_link template tag to create post backlinks 2014-06-21 22:14:27 +02:00
basics Switch error responses to TemplateResponse calls 2014-06-20 21:57:25 +02:00
blog Add get_post_link template tag to create post backlinks 2014-06-21 22:14:27 +02:00
gergelypolonkaiweb Code beautification 2014-06-20 21:57:54 +02:00
static Add static files directory location 2014-06-14 21:01:34 +00:00
.gitignore Add settings_local.py to .gitignore 2014-06-18 12:13:21 +00:00
README.md Added README.md 2013-10-02 00:07:04 +02:00
manage.py Renamed project to gergelypolonkaiweb 2013-10-01 23:49:18 +02:00
migrate.sql Fix migrate.sql to update tables much better 2014-06-15 08:34:31 +00:00
requirements.txt Fix requirements.txt 2014-06-20 21:56:46 +02:00



I have decided to rewrite my web site engine (http://gergely.polonkai.eu/ currently in PHP with Symfony 2) in Python, using the Django Framework.

Nice. Why?

See my blog post about it. However, the story is a bit more than this.

  • I am writing a C library using GLib and GObject
  • for that, I have written some Python examples
  • while testing “my” Python bindings, the Django Framework came into my mind, as I have already heard about it before while I was developing using Symfony 2
  • I took a look, then took a big breath
  • I learned Python and Django in about 6 hours (no, I havent mastered either of them; just learned the basics)
  • Ive converted my old, heavyweight Symfony project (~250MB with the vendors folder) to Django (~60MB with all the required libraries)

I think you did this-or-that wrong

As I said, Im no Python expert, which means there may be stuff that is against best practice. If you point me out, I will be grateful!